Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving in Dublin


Well, unfortunately, the Irish don't understand that the country should shut down on the 4th Thusday of every November. They keep telling me that Thanksgiving in America is just like Christmas here in Ireland. I keep telling them that we use both days as an excuse to take the day off and get drunk all day, and they are missing out on a full day of drinking. I'm not sure if I have convinced them yet. ;)

I did get a lot of sympathetic "Happy Thanksgiving, awwww, are you here alone on your country's biggest holiday? I feel so bad for you!" from my Irish coworkers as I left my night shift on the morning of Thanksgiving. Luckily with the time difference, it was not quite Thanksgiving yet in America, so I went home, slept off my shitty job, and woke up in the holiday spirit just as my family was getting the turkey started back home! Then I went to the grocery store, bought myself a nice bottle of wine, makings for a lovely dinner and made my way back to the apartment. After video calling my family to watch them partake in all the fixins, I made my dinner, drank my wine and watched Christmas movies. After I was finished, I was stuffed, drunk, and sappy from all the holiday moments, so not so different than it would have been if I were at home.

Although I bought a plane ticket to Colorado the next day. I guess I missed being home after all. :)

No comments: