

So, I just got back from Amsterdam on Tuesday, and let me tell you it was amazing! If you are under the impression that Amsterdam is only about sex and drugs, I'm here to tell you it is much more than that! I could not believe how beautiful it was with the fall colors and the canals everywhere. Although on the one walk through the Red Light District I did (because it seems required by all tourists to see it) I must say those hookers are pretty haggard. Good luck to those who try that out. Seriously. And the people hanging out in the "coffee shops" at 11am every day is also pretty impressive. Other than that, we did all normal tourist stuff. We took the requisite canal boat tour and saw the Van Gough museum and the Anne Frank house. All amazing. We did a trip to the country and saw a cheese farm, and bought a bunch of Dutch cheese (delicious!), saw a wooden shoe factory, and a wind mill. Just a bunch of Dutch stuff.
My favorite part of the trip, however, was the day I rented a bike. It was the most awesome bike ever. Purple with white daisies painted on it, a bell ("ding ding!!"), and only one gear. Yes, to brake, you had to pedal backwards!!! It was so awesome! I seriously felt like I was 10 year old riding that thing. All around the part and up and down the canals I went, just like I knew what I was doing! It was sooooo much fun!
Then there was the tall drink of Dutch water named Bart that served me drinks 2 nights in a row. Mmmmmm.
We also took a day trip to Belgium. I am not sure how many of you have been, but I'm here to say it's not worth more than a day there. Pretty boring and not that much to see. Except for the chocolate. Good stuff.
On the way home, we were going through security, and I turn around and say, "I wonder when they pat down people like that if they ever find anything." So, then I look back at the guy getting the pat down, and they pull a knife out of his pants. I am not freakin kidding. The dumb ass actually tried to take a knife on board. It was weird. No one freaked out, they just him to wait there, he made a call on his cell phone, then a head security guy came around and they walked away. Way to go Amsterdam security. Thanks for saving me from the terrorists.
So, next up is Vienna, Budapest, and Prague in November! I can't wait. It's my first trip alone, so I'm very nervous, but excited to see how it goes. I'll be doing a lot research in the next couple weeks, that's for sure!
My favorite part of the trip, however, was the day I rented a bike. It was the most awesome bike ever. Purple with white daisies painted on it, a bell ("ding ding!!"), and only one gear. Yes, to brake, you had to pedal backwards!!! It was so awesome! I seriously felt like I was 10 year old riding that thing. All around the part and up and down the canals I went, just like I knew what I was doing! It was sooooo much fun!
Then there was the tall drink of Dutch water named Bart that served me drinks 2 nights in a row. Mmmmmm.
We also took a day trip to Belgium. I am not sure how many of you have been, but I'm here to say it's not worth more than a day there. Pretty boring and not that much to see. Except for the chocolate. Good stuff.
On the way home, we were going through security, and I turn around and say, "I wonder when they pat down people like that if they ever find anything." So, then I look back at the guy getting the pat down, and they pull a knife out of his pants. I am not freakin kidding. The dumb ass actually tried to take a knife on board. It was weird. No one freaked out, they just him to wait there, he made a call on his cell phone, then a head security guy came around and they walked away. Way to go Amsterdam security. Thanks for saving me from the terrorists.
So, next up is Vienna, Budapest, and Prague in November! I can't wait. It's my first trip alone, so I'm very nervous, but excited to see how it goes. I'll be doing a lot research in the next couple weeks, that's for sure!
No comments:
Post a Comment